Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Final Fantasy Tactics

Pictures source: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics:_The_War_of_the_Lions

Lately, Singaporeans are hooked to the PSP (Playstation Portable). Many, including working adults, can been seen playing the PSP on the commute in the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) and buses.

It would be an interesting exercise to compare the PSP penetration rates between different countries. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a higher PSP per capita then Japan.

Having said that, I have no qualms admitting that when there is nothing to do, I too spent much time on the PSP, especially on the game Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions. =P

The artwork of the game is pretty decent. I especially like the cut-scenes which were rendered in cell animation.




The gameplay is also another draw. The unique character class system allows players to develop their characters in a non-linear manner. What this means is that a supporting character i.e. a healer is not limited to developing only healing magic but can also acquire pretty awesome attacking skills and vice versa. The player is allowed to develop up to 24 characters.

I realized that I appreciated the plot more as I went along. A lot of Machiavellian NPC villians. The plot is complex but not enough to bog down players unnecessarily.

The in-game characters speaks in a dramatic and archaic diction added depth to the medieval backdrop and struck the right note for fantasy buffs like me.

The only drawbacks are the gameplay music and the fact that it is taking too damn long for me to complete the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment